Friday, November 12, 2004

Pleurisy

Anyone ever heard of Pleurisy? Well, today I woke up and I was officially sick of being unable to breathe. I couldn't take a deep breath (it hurt so bad to do so) and every time I coughed, it hurt like hell. So, I called work at about 7:00 (when I was supposed to be there) and I let them know I wasn't coming in and that I was headed to the Emergency Room. I woke J up and had him drive me to St. Luke's. I get there and they ask me all of the normal questions but, then a question came up that didn't make much sense until it was explained to me and that question was, "have you been on any long trips in the last few weeks?". So, naturally I tell them that I got back from Hawaii on November 1. Then the doctor immediately tells the nurse to get an IV started and to take all kinds of blood. Finally, he explains to me that if I didn't move around enough on the plane, I might have developed a blood clot in my lungs and that they had to get blood and a chest x-ray. They take all of the blood, they take the chest x-ray and they eventually tell me I have Pleurisy. For some reason, that totally sounds like a learning disability to me! Anywho, they continue to tell me what Pleurisy is and what I have to do to take care of myself. For those of you who don't know, Pleurisy is the swelling or irritation of the lining of the chest cavity and lungs. Pleurisy causes sharp chest pain that is worse when breathing in. They end up giving me 800 mg Ibuprofen and a Tri-pac of Zithromax (Azithromycin). Then they proceed to tell me that regardless of the pain, I have to take deep breaths, as normal, to prevent from developing pneumonia. So, that was my Friday. Anyone else's Friday as lovely as mine?

No comments: