Monday, March 07, 2005

"Irregardless"

I keep hearing a word and I hate said word! Has anyone ever heard someone say "irregardless"? I hear it and I hate that word!

The word "irregardless" is not grammatically correct. Even in The American Heritage College Dictionary it says, "ir-re-gard-less adv. Nonstandard Regardless. [Perh. blend of IRRESPECTIVE and REGARDLESS.] Usage Note: Many mistakenly believe irregardless to be correct in formal style, when in fact is is chiefly used in nonstandard speech or casual writing. It was coined in the U.S. in the early 20th century and has been roundly condemned because of the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir - prefix and -less suffix."

Regardless means, "in spite of everything anyway." Adding the "ir" would make it the opposite of "regardless". That means it negates itself fools!

It plainly frustrates me when I hear an, otherwise intelligent, person say "irregardless". Please don't be that person!

Sorry, I had to rant for a minute, I can't stand to hear that word and I heard it this morning from one of the company's Vice Presidents!

I've been so busy lately. I really want to get my CM business off the ground, but I can't seem to do it. I guess it doesn't help that I work full time. I've been frustrated with my business level within CM. My vow is to work on that. My goal is to add 100 customers this year. Think I can do it? We'll see.

I'm going for now...ta ta!

No comments: