Monday, December 04, 2006

You Killed My Goldfish

YOO HOO!!! They fixed my Blogger - I have the "Edit Html" and "Compose" tabs back! Life is so great.

Okay guys, I may not be around for a few days. As you all know, we had a ridiculously heinous ice storm in the midwest(worst since the 70's) and I work at a local electric company. As of Friday, we had well over 1/2 a million people without power in our service territory. I work in Energy Delivery and I used to work in the Call Center. I got out of the Call Center in 2003, but during extreme storm restoration efforts, the Call Center calls back old Call Center employees to help on the phones. Well, guess who they called? Yep, me. So, I was in the Call Center taking calls today and I will be taking calls again tomorrow and Wednesday. I am unusually worn out by taking phone calls all day. I, by no means, mind helping out because I know how hard it is to take all of the calls. For example, between 7:00 and 11:00 this morning, we had taken 8000 phone calls. But, it's just that I am not the right personality for that type of job as I have a very short fuse.

How short is my fuse? Well, for example, you all know I love animals with everything I have in me, but if I hear one more time that "you people killed my pet", I cannot be held responsible for my actions. Why am I being an evil, animal hater? Because, when someone tells me they lost their pet since the power has been out since Thursday I immediately think their dog, cat, bird, ferret, hamster, etc. has passed. I do NOT think of a friggin' goldfish. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's sad, but don't goldfishes (is that even the right word?? I never did know with fish/fishes) die at the drop of a hat anyway? I had two separate customers tell me that they lost their pet goldfishes (again, I don't know if that's right) this past weekend. GIVE. ME. A. FUHREAKIN. BREAK.

I also had a woman tell me that her outage should have a higher priority since she has an asthmatic cat. Yes, folks, that's what I said, she believes her power should be turned on before the other 300,000 people who were still out today because she has to give her cat breathing treatments. Is that for real? Do people really have to give their cats breathing treatments? I mean, I certainly sympathize, but I just never heard of that. Now, if you've ever worked in the Call Center of an electric company, you'd know that the usual is that you have asthmatic children who need their breathing treatments (you'd be surprised at how many people have asthmatic children who need breathing treatments in the midwest- it's uncanny really). However, I have NEVER heard of an asthmatic cat needing breathing treatments. Wow. All I could tell the woman was to try to go to a heating shelter, Vet, hotel or a friend/family member's home. Trust me, if I had a switch that I could just flip at my desk, I'd be happy to do so. But, please listen, I DO NOT, NOR DOES ANY OTHER ELECTRIC COMPANY EMPLOYEE, HAVE A SWITCH TO YOUR POWER IN THE OFFICE.

Okay, I need to quit talking about it before my blood pressure boils way beyond the healthy point. I need to unwind before tomorrow morning.

6 comments:

tiffany said...

ahhh, it's so refreshing to see other people having to deal with complete idiots...

just kidding! hang in there girl!

Barb said...

Want to borrow some xanax?

Rebecca said...

That is so funny about the goldfish.

MY electricity was out for a little less than 24 hours, but our basement stayed pretty warm or we sat around the fireplace. My dog had the best seat in the house. He bed was right in front.

Hope the idiots stop calling.

Ann M. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. Glad to hear you are allright still.

I can just imagine what your call center must be like... I used to work at one and had to quit after going to the emergency room from the stress... and we were only trying to help people pay their hospital bills! I don't think I could take "you killed my pet" phone calls. But..um..I thought fish didn't die if they got frozen or whatever. We did it as a science experiment once in school. When the water thawed, the fish started swimming again. It's an evolutionary adaption because lakes freeze. Hmm.

Michelle said...

Yeah, Tiff, it's not just you dealing with them. And, there are so damn many of them! :0)

Barb, don't laugh, because I seriously called my mom last night and asked her for Lorazepam! Granted, I wasn't stressed enough to drive 45 minutes to get it...but still. Is it a federal offense to mail someone your prescription pills? ;0)

I'm glad your power wasn't off for multiple days Reba - you're one of the lucky ones.

Oh Ann, you poor thing. I do know a couple of people at my work that were hospitalized for stress-related illnesses (from working in the call center). I guess that happens at all call centers.
Really? I didn't know that about frozen fish...just goes to show they'll try anything to get their power back on. I could go on for days about the stories I hear. I can only imagine what it'd be like with hospital bills.

One last thing...if I pull a frozen fish out of my freezer and throw him in some water, will he swim? :0) JK

Jen!! said...

You're not god, you don't control the weather!!

You know what, if they are truly concerned about their goldfish and asthmatic cats, they ought to buy a little GENERATOR.