Monday, October 02, 2006

Cultural Phases

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be of a different culture or religion? Have you ever researched that other culture or religion? Am I the only one?

I go through phases where I wonder about other cultures and religions. I wonder what their beliefs are, I wonder how they live their life, I wonder how they perceive society...I just wonder.

I've gone through this with the German, French, Hawaiian and Egyptian cultures. I went through phases of researching Taoism and Judaism (along with my own Catholic religion) and now the Native American cultures and religions have peaked my interest. There's usually something that grabs me regarding that particular culture or religion. I went through the German and Hawaiian phases after I visited Germany and Hawaii. I did the French thing because I took French in high school and I visited France. The Egyptian phase was spawned by my favorite high school teacher - Mr. Wallman (my history teacher). The religious phases came out of a Theology class I took at SLU. And, finally, the Native American phase came from a movie I watched last night. It was a Lifetime movie, so I'm not saying anything about it, but I was intrigued by some of the beliefs mentioned by the Native American character on the movie. So...here goes my Native American phase.

I've already learned that each tribe has their own culture and beliefs. I've read some of their "commandments", if you will, and I am truly humbled. I've read where they treat the earth and all fellow beings with respect. Mainly, everything I've read, so far, makes me think that Native Americans are very modest and I aspire to that. I'm not saying, I believe and respect all of their beliefs because I have so much more to learn, but I can't wait to read more.

Now I know that any information I find on the internet is, possibly, a load of crap, so I'm going to have to run to the library or the bookstore to see what "real" information I can find. But, just so you know, I'll probably be here rambling about what I learn...so ignore me if you want.

No comments: